With the holiday season fast approaching and to celebrate the launch of our campaign #theEssentials, our founder sat down with Lauren Bille of The Big Quiet to discuss meditation and practicing gratitude.
Shut out the noise of Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and angry shoppers this holiday. Our mindfulness mantra at NOCORI - #theEssentials, helps to bring focus back to what's important this season - family, friends and love of self! Welcome in peace, gratitude and the magic of the holiday season. You know what they say... exhale the bullshit, inhale the good shit.
Namaste y'all ;).
Read on to see what Lauren had to say about meditation and the amazing changes it brought to her life! Also, don't miss the part at the end about how you can join @theBigQuiet movement!
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself. How did you find meditation?
I started meditating when I was 17 years old. I had a lot of challenges growing up. I dealt with depression, suicide attempts, drugs, alcohol. When I put it all down and got help, meditation was introduced to me as a suggestion to deal with life since I wasn't escaping anymore in the ways mentioned above.
I've continued to use and develop a really personal and powerful relationship with meditation as my life has developed. I'm 34 now and still meditate.
2. To someone who doesn't practice daily, what is meditation about?
It's about pausing, focusing in on yourself and your surroundings. Witnessing it; relaxing into it all.
3. What's a good tip for someone who is new to meditation?
Just sit down and set the alarm for 5 min. Take deep long breaths. Focus on your breath and your heart beat. If your mind wanders, that's cool and normal. Just gently bring your attention back to your breath and heart beat. Try and do this everyday. Every week add a few mins. You'll come to love this time and look forward to it.
4. With the holiday season upon us, what are the biggest stress points that you hear from your Big Quiet audience?
We are based in NYC, so I hear people talk about the cold, the intense holiday social schedule, and the pressure to figure out their goals for the New Year at work and family stress.
5. Can you give us 3 tips on staying essential this holiday season and shutting out the noise of big retail?
1. Buying a bunch of stuff doesn't matter. Perhaps think of the most mindful gifts you can give your loved ones.
2. Take care of yourself. Sleep. Eat well. Exercise. Meditate. Have fun.
3. Enjoy the buzz of the energy. Notice it. Feel it.
6. What is your favorite takeaway from meditation?
Nothing is a big deal. It's possible for me to move through everything in life with grace, my meditation practice reminds me that I have that choice and the tools to support myself emotionally.
7. Is there a specific type of meditation that you prefer?
I do my own thing these days. I like having sound to aid in me going deeper.
8. What is your favorite thing about the holiday season?
I'm grateful for meditation as a tool for living life. Meditating with others, in community is a beautiful and powerful thing.
10. How can our followers get involved in group meditations in NYC?
Follow @thebigquiet on Instagram to learn about our upcoming meditation events.
11. Lastly, what do you love about NOCORI?
More than anything, I love that a woman (you) runs this business! I love the way they look- smart, beautiful, minimal.